Electric Zoo Deaths Ruled Drug Overdoses

Electric Zoo Festival - H - 2013
Getty Images

The NYC medical examiner's office confirms that the two concertgoers who died at the Labor Day festival had taken fatal amounts of MDMA or ecstasy.

The New York City medical examiner's office has ruled that two concertgoers who died at an electronic music festival overdosed from MDMA or ecstasy.

The medical examiner's office ruled Thursday that 20-year-old Olivia Rotondo and 23-year-old Jeffrey Russ died from an overdose combined with hyperthermia on Aug. 31. Their deaths prompted city officials to shut down the final day of the three-day Electric Zoo music festival held on Randall's Island.

STORY: Electric Zoo Had Private Ambulances, Tents for ODs (Report)

Police said several others became ill and were hospitalized as a result of apparent drug use.

The festival draws sizable crowds to hear artists performing on multiple stages. Event founders offered refunds for the final day and extended condolences to the families of the dead.

Russ was from Rochester, N.Y., and Rotondo was from Providence, R.I.