Epic Games Store Would "Hastily Retreat From Exclusives" if Competitor Steam Changes Revenue Split

Digital Disrupters-Tim Sweeney-Getty-H 2018
Mike Coppola/Getty Images for Samsung

Tim Sweeney took to Twitter to make the bold claims in response to accusations of forming a "monopoly" with his company's online storefront and its recent rash of exclusive deals.

Since its launch in December, the Epic Games Store has secured a number of timed exclusives for marquee gaming titles on the PC, rankling some fans and putting a major strain on competing digital storefront Steam from video game company Valve.

Epic Games, makers of the massively popular Fortnite and developers of the industry's leading development tool the Unreal Engine, has locked down exclusive PC rights to such recent AAA titles as Metro: Exodus, The Division 2 and the upcoming Borderlands 3. The company also offers an attractive revenue split to smaller game publishers, granting them 88 percent of all revenue generated for a title on the storefront, while Epic retains the remaining 12 percent. This is in stark contrast to Steam's 70-80 percent split for developers. 

On Wednesday night, Epic Games founder Tim Sweeney took to Twitter to respond to allegations of creating a "monopoly" with his company's online store and also address Steam's revenue split. "If Steam committed to a permanent 88% revenue share for all developers and publishers without major strings attached, Epic would hastily organize a retreat from exclusives (while honoring our partner commitments) and consider putting our own games on Steam," Sweeney tweeted

"Such a move would be a glorious moment in the history of PC gaming, and would have a sweeping impact on other platforms for generations to come," he continued. "Then stores could go back to just being nice places to buy stuff, rather than the Game Developer IRS."

When contacted by The Hollywood Reporter, Epic had no further statement on Sweeney's comments. A request for comment from Valve was not immediately returned.