'Fantastic Beasts 3' Suspends Filming After "Team Member" Tests Positive for COVID

Warner Bros. says a "team member" has tested positive and the Harry Potter spin-off has paused production in the U.K.

The third Fantastic Beasts film has shut down its shoot in the U.K. after a member of the production testing positive for COVID-19.

“A team member from Fantastic Beasts 3 has tested positive for COVID-19," Warner Bros. told The Hollywood Reporter in a statement, without confirming the team member's identity. "The diagnosis was confirmed as a result of required and ongoing testing that all production employees receive, and the team member is currently in isolation. Out of an abundance of caution, Fantastic Beasts 3 paused production and will be back up in accordance with safety guidelines.”

The as-yet-untitled Harry Potter spin-off — starring Eddie Redmayne and Jude Law and shooting at Warner Bros. Studios in Leavesdon — has faced a number of hurdles throughout its production. Shooting had been due to start in early 2020 but was pushed back due the pandemic, eventually commencing in September.

In November 2020, Warner Bros. took the decision to ask Johnny Depp to step down from the film after he lost his libel case against The Sun. Mad Mikkelsen was later drafted in as his replacement as Gallert Grindelwald, with Depp reportedly only having shot one scene from the film.

After several date shifts, Fantastic Beasts 3 is currently due for release July 15, 2022.