- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
The movie tells the true story of a free black man, Solomon Northup, from upstate New York, played by Ejiofor, who’s sold into slavery and has to fight for his freedom. Fassbender plays a malevolent slave owner. Brad Pitt also stars as a Canadian abolitionist.
The premiere, set for Oct. 8, will be presented by the Film Society of Lincoln Center and Film Comment magazine.
“I am honored that 12 Years a Slave will be presented at the New York Film Festival in association with Film Comment,” McQueen said in a statement. “For me, this feels like a true homecoming for Solomon, as he was from New York, and I’m delighted that his story can be celebrated here.”
Fox Searchlight is set to release 12 Years a Slave on Oct. 18. The movie is getting a sneak peek at the Telluride Film Festival before playing the Toronto Film Festival in September.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day