- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Another TV season is complete, with Madison Avenue buyers lamenting the exodus of younger viewers.
According to the Nielsen Company, NBC saw it’s 18 to 49 veiwership plummet 14 percent this year, with CBS and ABC following with declines of 9 percent and 8 percent, respectively.
It is Fox and the CW, both of which dropped only 5 percent in the coveted demo, that dominate the crop of younger-skewing shows, care of Fox’s animated comedies and the CW’s female-leaning drama and reality fare. Together the networks air 13 of the the 15 series with the youngest median age in primetime. Shows such as Family Guy (median age: 30.9)and The Simpsons (median age: 32.4) lifted Fox to its seventh consecutive season as No. 1 among the top four broadcast networks in the advertiser-beloved 18 to 49 demo.
With the help of Nielsen data-cruncherBrad Adgate, senior vice president of research at Horizon Media, The Hollywood Reporter took a look at the 15 youngest broadcast network series (excluding sports, newsmagazines and repeats) for the 2010-11 season.
1. CW’s Gossip Girl – Median Age: 29.3
2. Fox’s Cleveland Show – Median Age: 30.8
3. Fox’s Family Guy – Median Age: 30.9
4. Fox’s Bob’s Burgers – Median Age: 31.5 (TIE)
4. Fox’s American Dad – Median Age: 31.5 (TIE)
6. CW’s Hellcats* – Median Age: 31.7
7. CW’s 90210 – Median Age: 31.8
8. CW’s One Tree Hill – Median Age: 32
9. Fox’s The Simpsons – Median Age: 32.4
10. CW’s Shedding for the Wedding – Median Age: 33.3
11. CW’s Vampire Diaries – Median Age: 33.6 (TIE)
11. CW’s Life Unexpected* – Median Age: 33.6 (TIE)
13. CW’s America’s Next Top Model – Median Age: 34.5**/35.7***
14. NBC’s The Office – Median Age: 35.9
15. NBC’s Parks and Recreation – Median Age: 37
Note: Estimates include live plus same day viewing. *Since Canceled. **Cycle 9. ***Cycle 10.
Email: Lacey.Rose@THR.com; Twitter: @LaceyVRose
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day