- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Flipboard
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Tumblr
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
For the cover of 2 Chainz‘s major label debut, the ubiquitous rapper turned to Kanye West.
The art, a simple portrait of two gold chains, was shot by photographer Fabien Montique for DONDA — the design house West announced in a lengthy Twitter monologue about his experiences in the fashion industry in January. The company is named after his late mother, Donda West.
STORY: Kanye West, G.O.O.D. Music’s ‘Cruel Summer’ Album Gets a Release Date
“Kanye and I share a similar vision and think along the same lines creatively. So, when it came time to develop the imagery for my project, I trusted him and his team at DONDA to get the job done and communicate my sentiments,” 2 Chainz told Billboard.com. “They were the first people I thought of. Their team is unprecedented. Expect next level imagery, sonics and stage performance. This is curated art. The Louvre of rap.”
West and 2 Chainz have been closely aligned in recent months, with West tweeting “2 Chainz is charging 100k for a verse now cause he’s G.O.O.D.!!!!!!” in May and appearing at a 2 Chainz’s SXSW set in March.
2 Chainz’s Based on a T.R.U. Story is due Aug. 14 on Def Jam Records, a week after West’s upcoming G.O.O.D. Music collection, Cruel Summer.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day