- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Casey Affleck was named best male lead for his role in Manchester by the Sea at the Independent Spirit Awards on Saturday.
Affleck was nominated alongside David Harewood (Free in Deed), Viggo Mortensen (Captain Fantastic), Jesse Plemons (Other People) and Tim Roth (Chronic).
This is the actor’s first Spirit Award win and nomination, and he started his acceptance speech, “I wish I could do this like Molly Shannon but I can’t.”
The younger Affleck also became one of the first stars of the night to speak out about the current political climate, calling out President Trump without naming him, saying, “Increasingly my kids don’t listen to me unless I say it on TV, but the policies of this administration are abhorrent, and they will not last, and they are really un-American.”
The 2017 Film Independent Spirit Awards were hosted by John Mulaney and Nick Kroll, airing live on IFC from the Santa Monica Pier.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day