- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
The indie drama beat out fellow nominees American Honey, Chronic, Jackie and Manchester by the Sea.
Alongside producer Jeremy Kleiner, producer Adele Romanski said, “I am awed and I am inspired to keep going. The films that have been discussed and laude dint his last year really speak to this appetite and need for stories that are bold and defy easy categorization. People are telling us that’s what they want to see, and we hear you and we’re gonna keep answering that call.”
With a total of six wins, Moonlight also took home the awards for director, screenplay, cinematography and editing, as well as the Robert Altman Award, given to one film’s director, casting director and ensemble cast.
Moonlight looks at the life of a young black man growing up in a tough Miami neighborhood. Directed by Barry Jenkins, the drama’s ensemble cast includes Mahershala Ali, Patrick Decile, Naomie Harris, Alex Hibbert, Andre Holland, Jharrel Jerome, Janelle Monae, Jaden Piner, Trevante Rhodes and Ashton Sanders.
The 32nd Film Independent Spirit Awards aired live on IFC on Saturday, Feb. 25. Nick Kroll and John Mulaney hosted the ceremony, held in a tent on the beach in Santa Monica.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day