- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Instinct premiered at the Locarno Film Festival and will also screen in Toronto in the Contemporary World Cinema section. It is the directorial debut of Dutch actress Halina Reijn (Valkyrie, Black Book). A critical hit, the subtle psychological drama has been compared to the early work of fellow Dutch director Paul Verhoeven (Basic Instinct).
For a small country, the Netherlands has one of the best records at the Oscars in the category formerly known as best foreign language film. Seven Dutch titles have been nominated, and three have won the Oscar: Fons Rademakers’ The Assault in 1986, Antonia’s Line from Marleen Gorris in 1995 and Mike van Diem’s Character in 1997. The last time a film from the Netherlands received an Oscar nomination was for Ben Sombogaart’s Twin Sisters in 2003.
The nominations for the 92nd Academy Awards will take place on Jan. 13, and the Oscar ceremony will be held Feb. 9.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day