- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Flipboard
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Tumblr
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
LONDON – 3D technology licensor RealD said Thursday that it has struck a deal with Chinese movie theater operator SMI Corporation to equip 100 screens with its technology, bringing its total commitments in the country to 1,350 additional screens.
RealD 3D is currently available on approximately 650 screens in China for a total of 2,000 current and targeted screens.
“This partnership with RealD will combine the world’s most cutting-edge 3D cinema technology with our five-star multiplexes, bringing Chinese audiences a brand new movie-going experience,” Bruce Ren, president of SMI International Cinemas said.
“Chinese cinema box office is growing at a record breaking rate thanks to circuits like Stellar and their commitment to bringing world class multiplexes and premium entertainment experiences to cities throughout China,” said Edman Chan, RealD general manager of Asia for cinema. “This agreement adds to RealD’s growing traction in the Chinese exhibition market where we recently announced four new exhibitors, giving RealD a total commitment of 2,000 RealD 3D-equipped screens in China.”
Globally, RealD has approximately 20,200 screens equipped with its technology.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day