- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Jeff Daniels has won acclaim for playing the whip-smart Will McAvoy on The Newsroom, but this Dumb and Dumber scene may be his his most famous ever. (For more on how he does it, check out Daniels’ in-depth discussion with The Hollywood Reporter‘s Lacey Rose.)
Jim Carrey‘s turn in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind made him a hero to a generation of sweater-wearing intellectuals, but this is what he was known for before he turned to drama.
Philip Seymour Hoffman brought a certain level class to every project he worked on, and you could just see that real-life intelligence in every role he took. But he also played the red meat-obsessed, party hound Dusty to “the extreme” in Twister.
Matt Damon co-wrote and convincingly played a genius in Good Will Hunting. But he also played a conjoined twin who uttered this line: “We’re not Siamese, we’re American.”
Robert Downey Jr. has played not one, but two geniuses with Sherlock Holmes and Tony Stark. But he also played a geneticist (who, admittedly is smart) who is forced to act like a dog in a scene in 2006’s The Shaggy Dog. The above scene is from the French translation (sorry), but really, this transcends language.
What are your favorite dumb scenes from smart actors? Let us know in the comments.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day