- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
The lives of the great American presidents are about to get a lot more exciting with the news that Harper Collins has signed Fred Van Lente and Ryan Dunlavey for a four-book deal to bring their digital comic series Action Presidents to print, beginning in 2017.
Action Presidents, which follows the pair’s self-published Action Philosophers series, tells the life stories of a number of U.S. presidents with a somewhat sensational flair. The digital version of the series debuted on the ComiXology platform in Nov. 2013, focusing on George Washington, who is depicted on the cover holding a chainsaw in one hand and an axe in the other, shouting “You’re next!” at the viewer.
In an interview supporting the series’ digital launch, Van Lente — whose work includes runs on Marvel Adventures: Spider-Man, Valiant’s critically acclaimed Archie & Armstrong and the original comic book that served as inspiration for the movie Cowboys and Aliens — described Action Presidents as “our dissenting side of the story of our country, which paradoxically uses the comics medium to tell a much truer story of our first executives than what you get in textbooks.”
Harper Collins’ Action Presidents series will launch in summer 2017 with the first two books in the series.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day