- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
SHIELD has been dismantled, and Coulson (Clark Gregg) is charged with putting it back together. So whom does he call? None other than Lucy Lawless, who plays Isabelle Hartley, an old friend (OK, possibly more than a friend) with a penchant for killing.
Read more Complete Guide to TV Premiere Dates 2014
“She’s a mercenary, but she’s somebody Coulson can trust above all others. He knows that historically she’s on the same side as him,” Lawless tells The Hollywood Reporter. “In fact, she’s on any side he’s on.”
Lawless plays coy when giving specifics as to her character’s history with Coulson.
“She’s certainly been around a long time. The only reason he knows he can trust her is the weight of history between them,” she says. “They’ve got to rebuild SHIELD — and who are you gonna call? You’re going to call Isabelle Hartley.”
She adds that she and Gregg came up with an elaborate backstory for their relationship “because we are naughty actors and want to make it more interesting.”
Check back to THR.com following Tuesday’s premiere for the full, spoiler-filled Q&A with Lawless.
Agents of SHIELD returns for season two at 9 p.m. on ABC.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day