- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
WWD broke the news Wednesday morning that the peppy American designer, who signed on as creative director of the French fashion house following Nicholas Ghesiquere‘s departure for Louis Vuitton in 2012, would not be renewing his contract with Balenciaga parent company Kering. According to the trade’s sources, the spring 2016 Paris show slated for this October will be Wang’s final collection for the brand. A possible successor has not yet been proposed.
Read more ‘House of DVF‘ Is Returning for Season 2
Though specific details regarding the decision remain unclear, many speculate that the move is a strategic one on Wang’s part to focus more time and energy on his namesake label. Especially given Balenciaga’s increased visibility since the 31-year-old took the reins a few years back (outfitting celeb friends Rihanna and Lady Gaga, to name a few) as well as the brand’s recent double-digit growth, it would appear that the move is geared toward Wang’s personal agenda.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day