- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Bad Batch director Ana Lily Amirpour is set to helm a female-led reboot of the 1993 classic Cliffhanger action thriller by Renny Harlin, with Jason Momoa in talks to perform a cameo role.
Casting is underway for a female lead after Rocket Science acquired the reboot rights to Cliffhanger from StudioCanal, and will produce alongside Neal Moritz’s Original Film, while handling foreign sales starting in Cannes.
Amirpour, who also helmed A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night, will direct from a script by Sascha Penn.
“We are setting out to create a thrill-ride on the mountain which taps into the primal side of an action movie, where you see what a person is capable of doing to survive in the most extreme situations, pushed to the limits,” Amirpour said in a statement.
Neal Moritz and Toby Jaffe will produce under their Original Film banner, alongside Thorsten Schumacher and partner Lars Sylvest for Rocket Science, who will also finance.
CAA Media Finance brokered the deal between Rocket Science and StudioCanal and will represent North American and Chinese rights. Front Row Entertainment is providing development finance for the project.
Amirpour is repped by CAA. Momoa is with WME. Penn is repped by Lit Entertainment Group.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day