- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Major congrats are in order for Andreja Pejic — she’s landed a major beauty campaign. The 23-year-old will become one of the first transgender models to sign a major beauty contract as she’ll appear as the face of Make Up For Ever, Vogue revealed on Tuesday.
“There are just more categories now. It’s good,” Pejic, who underwent gender reassignment surgery last year, expressed to the Conde Nast glossy. “We’re finally figuring out that gender and sexuality are more complicated.”
The industry, which isn’t always known for being very diverse, has been embracing transgender models as of late, with Modcloth hiring its first trans model for its #FashionTruth campaign and Lea T appearing as Redken Hair’s spokesperson.
“There was definitely a lot of ‘Oh, you’re going to lose what’s special about you. You’re not going to be interesting anymore. There are loads of pretty girls out there,” said Pejic, who’s walked on the runways for Marc Jacobs and Jeremy Scott, among others. “It is about showing that this is not just a gimmick.”
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day