- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Young stars Abby Ryder Fortson and Ian Chen are joining A Dog’s Journey, Amblin Partners’ sequel to A Dog’s Purpose.
Based on the New York Times best-seller from W. Bruce Cameron, the follow-up centers of a devoted dog as he is reincarnated into the life of a troubled teenager.
Dennis Quaid will return to star, along with Josh Gad, who voiced the titular dog Bailey in the first film. Glow breakout Betty Gilpin will also star in the sequel, along with franchise newcomers Marg Helgenberger, Henry Lau and Kathryn Prescott.
Veteran television helmer Gail Mancuso (Modern Family, 30 Rock) will direct from a screenplay written by Cameron, along with Cathryn Michon, Wally Wolodarsky and Maya Forbes. A Dog’s Journey will be co-financed and co-produced by Walden Media and Alibaba Pictures, with Gavin Polone returning to produce.
A Dog’s Purpose grossed $196 million at the global box office, $88 million of which was from China. A Dog’s Journey is set for a May 17, 2019, domestic release via Universal Pictures. Universal will also distribute the film in select international territories.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day