- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Documentarian Alex Gibney has aimed the spotlight on larger-than-life figures like Hunter S. Thompson, Julian Assange, the bigwigs of Enron, and the pope. Now, in a new animated short, the prolific filmmaker is setting his sights on what might be his most famous subject ever: Santa Claus.
Gibney provides the narration for Night Before Christmas, an animated music video by Fall on Your Sword, the production company of composer Will Bates. The short unravels as a twist on Clement Clarke Moore‘s ” ‘Twas the Night Before Christmas,” following an illustrated Gibney pursuing a less-than-perfect version of ol’ St. Nick.
Bates has previously composed music for Another Earth, Nobody Walks, Lola Versus, and Gibney’s 2013 doc We Steal Secrets: The Story of WikiLeaks. Gibney’s films include the Oscar-winning Taxi to the Dark Side, Client 9: The Rise and Fall of Eliot Spitzer, Mea Maxima Culpa: Silence in the House of God and 2013’s The Armstrong Lie, which earned a spot on the best documentary shortlist for the 2014 Academy Awards.
Night Before Christmas was produced in conjunction with Fall on Your Sword’s Christmas album, all proceeds from which will go to The Ralph Bates Pancreatic Cancer Research Fund.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day