- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
This story first appeared in the Feb. 22 issue of The Hollywood Reporter magazine.
Move over, James Franco: Arrested Development‘s Alia Shawkat is getting serious about art.
Already a painter on the side with gallery shows to her credit, she reveals exclusively that she’s hosting a web series on MOCA’s YouTube channel, debuting Feb. 15. For each segment of Artists Talk, she hangs out with a different big-name artist in his or her studio.
Shawkat, who was inspired to create the show in collaboration with music video director Lance Bangs (Kanye West, The Black Keys) after spending time with Francesco Clemente at his New York City workspace a few years ago, was most excited to meet pop-culture-inspired artist Raymond Pettibon — whose career began with album covers for seminal L.A. punk band Black Flag — in Venice.
“We got tipsy and started drawing at 10 in the morning,” she says. “The art world can be small and insular. I want to make it not so intimidating.”
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day