- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
The romantic comedy, co-starring Jennifer Coolidge, Jane Seymour and Flight of the Conchords’ Bret McKenzie, focuses on a seemingly normal New Yorker, played by Russell, who’s obsessed with Jane Austen‘s novels, particularly Pride & Prejudice and its heartthrob Mr. Darcy.
Russell’s character embarks on a trip to an English resort catering to Austen-crazed women and, as she takes on the role of a Regency-era woman, she wonders whether she’ll find her own Mr. Darcy.
The movie was directed and co-written by Jerusha Hess, who co-wrote Napoleon Dynamite and Nacho Libre with her husband, director Jared Hess. Austenland also is produced by Twilight author Stephenie Meyer.
Austenland debuted at Sundance, where it was acquired by Sony Pictures Worldwide Acquisitions for more than $4 million. Sony Pictures Classics releases the film in New York and L.A. on Aug. 16.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day