- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Angry Birds is about to get its first spinoff title that doesn’t star the ornery onithoids that gave it its name. That’s because their snorting arch rivals will feature front and center in Bad Piggies.
Due to launch on September 27 for iOS, Android and Mac (and perhaps just in time for the arrival of the iPhone 5), the game gives the franchise a new spin “by letting fans play as the pigs,” according to a statement from Rovio Entertainment, the Finnish video game developer who created Angry Birds.
“There’s a lot of empathy towards the lovable enemies from the Angry Birds games, and we’ve been constantly asked: what about the pigs’ side of the story?” says Mikael Hed, CEO of Rovio. “Bad Piggies gives you the chance to play as the second-most-loved characters in the Angry Birds universe, and explore this rich world through their green eyes.”
The new title features new gameplay without “a slingshot in sight.”
The company, who were rumored to have turned down a $2 billion takeover bid earlier this year by Zynga, the developers behind FarmVille and Words with Friends, continues to grow their franchise. The company has expanded operations with a Los Angeles office, and Angry Birds Trilogy for Xbox 360, PlayStation, Wii and Nintendo 3DS debuted last month.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day