- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Written and directed by Drew Goddard, the movie is a stylistic thriller featuring seven strangers, including a priest, a salesman and a singer, each with their own dark secret, who meet over the course of one night at Lake Tahoe’s El Royale, a decrepit hotel with a dark past. Each will get a shot at redemption before the evening implodes.
Bad Times at the El Royale is Goddard’s second feature after 2012’s The Cabin in the Woods. He started his career as a writer, penning Cloverfield and The Martian, which earned him an Oscar nomination. He also is the creator of the Netflix series Daredevil. Goddard will next direct X-Force, the mutant superhero film which will see Ryan Reynolds return as Deadpool, Josh Brolin as Cable and Zazie Beetz as Domino.
“Bad Times at the El Royale is a sophisticated, intelligent, ironic, surprising and elegant film,” said festival director Antonio Monda of his opening-night choice. “Within the great tradition of the noir, Drew Goddard magnificently directs a splendid cast, reveling in the revelation of the protagonists’ secrets, but above all granting us the pleasure of true cinema.”
The full lineup for the 13th edition of the Rome Film Fest, which is set to run Oct. 18-28, will be announced Friday.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day