- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
How do you make fun of one of the most accomplished and long-lasting women in television history? By signing up one of her contemporaries, of course.
The Friars Club of New York announced on Tuesday that they have named Barbara Walters as the Roastmaster of the upcoming Roast of Betty White, which will take place on May 16 in Manhattan’s Sheraton Ballroom.
“My father was a proud Friar for a great many years, and I am proud to be the Roastmaster for Betty, as she paves the way for all youngsters and adds some sex appeal to this dignified, pillar of society,” Walters said in a statement.
Founded in 1904, the Club has become an iconic home for entertainers and as hosted generations’ worth of roasts. Last year, director Quentin Tarantino went under the fire. White, as vital and sharp as ever, is ready for the joke assault.
“Those Friars may think I’m an easy mark, but I have 90 years of comebacks waiting for them,” White said when the event was first announced. “This is such an honor to be roasted by the Friars Club. It will be an afternoon filled with dirty words, risque jokes & sex talk…..and that’s just what I plan on saying!”
Walters selected White as one of her Most Fascinating People of 2010; watch their interview below.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day