- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Fox Searchlight has released the trailer for Battle of the Sexes.
The ripped-from-the-headlines story stars Emma Stone and Steve Carell as Billie Jean King and Bobby Riggs, respectively. The 1973 tennis match between world No. 1 King and retired champ and serial hustler Riggs became one of the most-watched televised sporting events of all time. The match sparked a global conversation on gender equality, spurring on the feminist movement, while King and Riggs fought more personal and complex battles — King with her sexuality and her plight for equal pay, and Riggs with protecting his reputation while reliving his glory days.
The first trailer previews Carell’s chauvinistic Riggs (“Don’t get me wrong, I love women in the bedroom and in the kitchen,” he says) and Stone’s feminist King (“It’s when we want a little bit of what you’ve got, that’s what you can’t stand,” she says), plus a few seconds on the court.
Alan Cumming, Andrea Riseborough, Elizabeth Shue, Austin Stowell and Sarah Silverman round out the cast of the Simon Beaufoy-penned dramedy, directed by Jonathan Dayton and Valerie Faris.
Battle of the Sexes hits theaters Sept. 22.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day