- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
An adaptation of 1994 Universal Pictures film, Backbeat will play L.A.’s Ahmanson Theater from Jan. 16, 2013 through Feb. 24. Opening night is Jan. 23.
The musical played London’s West End from Sept. 24 through Feb. 18. The show had its world premiere at Glasgow’s Citizens Theatre in 2010 and next has a July 21-Sept. 2 run at the Royal Alexandra Theatre in Toronto.
Using a collection of songs the Beatles covered in the clubs of Liverpool and Hamburg, Germany — “Long Tall Sally,” “Twist and Shout,” “Good Golly Miss Molly,” “Please Mr. Postman,” “Rock ‘n’ Roll Music” — Backbeat is set in 1960 and focused on the group’s original bassist Stu Sutcliffe and his relationship with German photographer Astrid Kirchherr.
The cast for the Los Angeles show has not yet been set. A Broadway theater has not been booked either, but it would likely open by the end of April to make it eligible for the 2013 Tony Awards.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day