- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Presented his award by two of the night’s big winners, Phoebe Waller-Bridge and Bill Hader, Whishaw announced, “I’m hungover! My agent took me out for drinks and I’m hungover.”
He overcame that to thank his writers, director and co-star Hugh Grant, telling the latter, “I hope you get one of these” for his lead role. He wrapped up with a message to “my partner Mark, for his love and his support and keeping me somewhat sane.”
Also nominated in the category were Stellan Skarsgard (Chernobyl), Paul Dano (Escape at Dannemora), Asante Blackk (When They See Us), John Leguizamo (When They See Us), Michael K. Williams (When They See Us).
British actor Whishaw has previously appeared in Mary Poppins Returns and The Lobster, as well as his Amazon limited series, which tells the story of a British politician accused of conspiracy to murder his gay ex-lover.
The 71st annual Emmy Awards, which went hostless this year, aired live on Fox from Los Angeles’ Microsoft Theater.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day