- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
MOSCOW – Romania has announced its nomination for the best foreign language category in next year’s 86th Academy Awards.
Calin Peter Netzer‘s powerful family drama Child’s Pose — which won this year’s Berlinale top prize, the Golden Bear, and the critics’ FIPRESCi award — was the unanimous choice of the national Oscar nominating committee.
The announcement — possibly the first for the best foreign language category — will pitch the film against scores of others from around the world that will compete at the awards, scheduled for March 2, 2014.
Starring Luminita Gheorghiu as an overbearing mother and Bodgdan Dumitrache as her mollycoddled adult son, the film has been a box office success in Romania, where it was released in early March and is still showing.
Produced by Romania’s Parada Film, the movie is represented internationally by Germany’s Beta Cinema, which is reportedly anticipating a U.S. sale soon.
Last year’s Romanian submission, Cristian Mungiu’s Beyond the Hills, made it to the January shortlist before losing out to Michael Haneke‘s winning submission, Amour.
The deadline for submissions for best foreign language film is Oct. 1.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day