- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Fresh off strong reviews from her role in Beyond the Lights at the Toronto Film Festival, Gugu Mbatha-Raw has closed a deal to star opposite Will Smith in the NFL concussion drama.
The untitled Sony project is based on the GQ article “Game Brain” by Jeanne Marie Laskas. Described as a whistleblower tale, it follows the doctor (Smith) who discovered that major head injuries and life-long debilitating problems were facing NFL players because of repeated concussions.
Peter Landesman wrote the script and will direct. Ridley Scott, Giannina Facio and Michael Schaefer are producing for Scott Free, while David Wolthoff, Elizabeth Cantillon and Larry Shuman are also producing. Hannah Minghella and Jonathan Kadin are overseeing for the studio.
Mbatha-Raw starred as a music superstar in Beyond the Lights, which just premiered at the Toronto Film Festival. She recently wrapped filming on The Whole Truth, starring Keanu Reeves. Her previous credits include Odd Thomas, Larry Crowne and the TV series Touch. She’s repped by CAA, Curtis Brown Group and Authentic Talent and Literary Management.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day