- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
After walking onstage to piano music, Burr said, “Was I the only one that wanted to kill himself during that piano solo? I bought a suit for this. I thought I was going to be on TV. I’m such a moron. I’m losing so much money.”
Burr presented several awards, including best Latin rock or alternative album, best choral performance, best classical instrument solo performance, best classical vocal album and best classical compendium. As he presented the best regional Mexican music award, which Natalia Lafourcade won, Burr mispronounced the singer’s name and apologized. “I can’t say the name. The Grammy goes to Natalia Lafourcade. I will accept on behalf of her. If I butchered her name, I’m sorry. Natalia, you won.”
While presenting best tropical Latin album, Burr said, “The feminists are going nuts. Why is the cis-white male doing all this Latino stuff.”
Following his appearance at the premiere ceremony, critics of his jokes took to social media causing “Bill Burr” to trend to Twitter.
The Hollywood Reporter has reached out to Burr’s reps as well as the Recording Academy for comment.
Burr received his first Grammy nomination ever this year for Netflix comedy special Paper Tiger, which was nominated for best comedy album.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day