- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Following Charlie Sheen‘s radio rant on Thursday, Real Time host Bill Maher told THR that he is at a loss to understand America’s true devotion for the controversial actor.
“There’s no rhyme or reason. People just like who they like,” Maher said at The Hollywood Reporter Nominees’ Night party on Thursday. “There’s no rationality to it. “
“I once did a new rule on my show that was something like, ‘What does Charlie have to do to alienate the American population? What if he came out and said, ‘Hi, I’m Charlie Sheen. I was the 20th hijacker. But I missed my plane that morning because I was raping Mary Tyler Moore.’ ”
“Would they still stay with him?” he added. “The answer is yes.”
Sheen’s radio outburst on Thursday has caused national headlines and lead to the cancellation of ‘Two and a Half Men’ for the remainder of the season.
Maher said he had dinner with Sheen about a year and a half ago. “He couldn’t have been more sober or charming,” he said.
“He obviously has different tastes,” Maher added.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day