- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Bollywood actress Mallika Sherawat and partner Cyrille Auxenfans were the targets of a botched robbery involving tear gas in a wealthy area of Paris, the Paris prosecutor’s office said Thursday.
Suspected robbers attacked the couple last Friday night in the building where Auxenfans lives in Paris’ 16th arrondissement but fled empty-handed, according to spokeswoman Agnes Thibault-Lecuivre.
It’s unclear why the suspects took off. A criminal inquiry about the incident has been opened.
Prosecutors said the couple presumably inhaled fumes from the tear gas. Officials said Auxenfans was most likely harmed by the suspects but that the couple refused to see a doctor to assess possible injuries.
They said Sherawat was not thought to have been physically harmed in the attack.
Rising to fame in India in 2003, the Bollywood actress went on to star in a string of high-profile movies, including Myth with Jackie Chan, and has a racy, sex-symbol image in her home country.
Sherawat, 40, who has nearly 2 million followers on Twitter, is no stranger to France and has graced the red carpet at the Cannes Film Festival.
The case comes six weeks after Kim Kardashian reported being robbed at gunpoint while visiting Paris.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day