- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
In what will be the widest release ever for an Indian film in China, action hit Dhoom 3 will open on 2,000 screens in over 400 Chinese cities on July 25. The third installment of the blockbuster franchise from veteran Bollywood banner Yash Raj Films will be dubbed in Mandarin and released by Chinese distribution company HGC Entertainment.
Given China’s notorious quota limiting foreign film imports to just 34 titles per year on a revenue-sharing basis, Indian films have struggled to get a foothold in the country in the face of Hollywood competition. Reliance Entertainment’s 2009 comedy hit 3 Idiots was a notable success story when it scored a release there in 2011. Starring top actor Aamir Khan, the film grossed nearly $3 million in China. Dhoom 3 also stars Khan in the lead, along with actress Katrina Kaif and actors Abhishek Bac
PHOTOS Indian Talent Going Global
Following its December 2013 worldwide release, Dhoom 3 set a slew of Indian box-office records, including becoming the first Indian film to cross the 5 billion rupee mark ($83 million).
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day