- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Champion boxer Andre Ward and British champion boxer Tony Bellew are in negotiations to lace up their gloves for Creed, MGM’s Rocky spinoff that focuses on the grandson of Apollo Creed.
Ryan Coogler, who directed Fruitvale Station, is directing the pugilistic picture, which sees Michael B. Jordan playing the grandson who is being mentored by Rocky Balboa. Sylvester Stallone is returning as Rocky.
Bellew will be the main opponent for Creed, a fighter called “Pretty Ricky Porter.”
The movie is looking at a January start and is due to shoot in Las Vegas and Philadelphia.
Ward is a current World Boxing Association champion in the super-middleweight division. He was one of boxing’s rising stars, although recently he was making more of a name for himself in the courtroom squaring off with his former promoter Dan Goossen, who passed in late September.
Bellew is a former three-time heavyweight champion in the Amateur Boxing Association of England league as well as a former light heavyweight champion in the Commonwealth league. He next fights Nathan Cleverly in a rematch Nov. 22.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day