- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Affleck, Alan Arkin and John Goodman as starring in the political thriller ensembler, which is being produced by George Clooney and Grant Heslov. David Klawans is also producing.
Chris Terrio wrote the script based on a Wired article titled “How the CIA Used a Fake Sci-Fi Flick to Rescue Americans from Tehran.” It told the true story of how the CIA, with help from Hollywood, used a fake movie project to smuggle six U.S. diplomats out of Tehran during the 1979 hostage crisis. Argo was the name of the fake movie.
Affleck is playing Tony Mendez, a CIA technical operations officer that led the operation. Arkin will portray Hollywood producer Lester Siegel while Goodman will play Academy Award winning special effects master John Chambers who helped with the CIA’s cover story.
Cranston will play CIA agent Jack O’Donnell, a man who used to be President Eisenhower’s bodyguard and is now Affleck’s boss.
Cranston, the star of AMC’s Breaking Bad, is repped by UTA.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day