- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
On Sunday Canada’s CBC fired popular radio show host Jian Ghomeshi after allegations of sexual abuse by a former lover.
“The CBC is saddened to announce its relationship with Jian Ghomeshi has come to an end,” the pubcaster said in a surprise statement, with CBC spokesman Chuck Thompson telling The Hollywood Reporter that “information came to our attention recently that in CBC’s judgment precludes us from continuing our relationship with Jian.”
Read more Canada’s CBC Presses Ahead With Job Cuts
The radio host took to Facebook to defend himself, saying that he had been in a relationship that involved “rough sex” but that the interactions had been consensual. “I have always been interested in a variety of activities in the bedroom,” he writes in the post, “but I only participate in sexual practices that are mutually agreed upon, consensual, and exciting for both partners.”
According to Ghomeshi, he ended the relationship in question in early 2014, which he claims set off a “campaign of harassment, vengeance and demonization” on the part of his former partner — eventually resulting in his dismissal.
The legal terms for ending Ghomeshi’s contract with the CBC were not disclosed, and there was no comment Sunday from Ghomeshi’s publicist, who referred all questions to Ghomeshi’s lawyers at Dentons Canada LLP.
“Our client takes this matter very seriously, and legal proceedings will be commenced tomorrow in relation to the CBC’s conduct which led to Jian’s termination,” Dentons spokeswoman Tiffany Soucy tells THR.
The law firm said Ghomeshi will claim in a $50 million suit “general and punitive damages for among other things, breach of confidence and bad faith.”
On Friday Ghomeshi had used Twitter to respond to earlier media reports that he would be taking an indefinite leave, stating that it was for some “much needed personal time.”
Thanks for all the well wishes, you guys. I’m ok. Just taking some much needed personal time.
— jian ghomeshi (@jianghomeshi) October 24, 2014
Oct. 27, 3:28 p.m. Headline and story updated for clarity.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day