- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Carey Mulligan will not be stepping into Hillary Rodham Clinton‘s shoes for Rodham, Temple Hill and The Arlook Group’s biopic of the former first lady, New York senator and secretary of state.
The Great Gatsby actress was being courted to play Clinton and, according to sources, was offered the role after meeting with director James Ponsoldt (The Spectacular Now) last week.
Insiders, however, say the actress, who just moved from CAA to WME, was not prepared to commit to the role.
Sources said Ponsoldt is working with Rodham’s scribe Young Il Kim on a director’s draft and he, along with producers Wyck Godfrey, Marty Bowen and Richard Arlook, will resume the search shortly.
Rodham centers on Clinton as a young lawyer on the committee involved in President Richard Nixon‘s impeachment, and her juggling a diverging career path with her unresolved feelings for future President Bill Clinton.
Several actresses’ names have been talked about to take on the widely admired but often polarizing figure, including Scarlett Johansson, Jessica Chastain and Emma Stone.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day