- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Cartoon Network will add two new original comedies to its portfolio in 2013.
The Turner Broadcasting System network announced Tuesday that it has greenlit projects from its own in-house development team.
The first, Steven Universe, comes from Adventure Time writer and storyboard artist Rebecca Sugar. It’s described as a coming of age story about the youngest member of a team of magical superheroes.
Uncle Grandpa, based on an Emmy-nominated short of the same name, comes from fellow Adventure Time alum Pete Browngardt.
“Steven Universe and Uncle Grandpa will build upon our record-breaking streak with original programming, and further define the voice for Cartoon Network Studios comedies,” said Cartoon Network CCO Rob Sorcher. “Rebecca and Pete represent our next generation of homegrown talent, following Pen Ward and JG Quintel who set a high bar with their distinctive visual storytelling and unique comedic styles.”
Both projects have started pre-production and are set to premiere in 2013.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day