- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
HONG KONG – Shaw Brothers-style kung fu kicks off on African television for the first time as the Hong Kong-based owner of the studio’s 760-film library, Celestial Pictures, has signed a deal with Sony Max, Sony Pictures Television’s 24-hour action and reality channel in Africa.
Sony Max will broadcast exclusively on cable and satellite the classic martial arts titles including The 36th Chamber of Shaolin, The Chinese Boxer, Mad Monkey Kung Fu, Shaolin Temple, and Vengeance, all digitally restored.
The channel was launched in February 2011 in 48 countries in Africa on digital pay TV platform Multichoice, and has 3.3 million subscribers at present.
Celestial has inked deals previously with broadcasters in Asia, Europe, Australia, and North and South America to distribute Shaw Brothers kung-fu films via cable and satellite TV. The company’s new deal with Sony Max means the Shaw Brothers classics are now available on television on all the continents in the world except Antarctica.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day