- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Netflix is to recommend smart TV sets that best stream its programming.
The online video giant on Monday unveiled a logo certification program to rate TV sets on their Internet video streaming experience, menu navigation and other smart TV features. “When you see a TV with the Netflix Recommended TV logo, it means that TV will provide an excellent Netflix experience, based on criteria our members tell us matter most,” Neil Hunt, chief product officer at Netflix, said in a statement issued from the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas.
Read more Report: More Buyers Look for Smart TVs
TV viewers looking to Netflix, BBC iPlayer and other online SVODs for catch-up viewing are driving the trend towards smart TVs. But not all smart TVs do well streaming Netflix online video, or are as quick to launch apps and resume video playback.
Sony Electronics, LG Eletronics, Sharp Electronics, VIZIO and Rozu TV makers are expected this spring to unveil new smart TVs designated by Netflix to receive its logo recommendation. The certification program follows Netflix engineers in recent years working with Internet-ready TV makers, game consoles and mobile devices to help consumers receive an acceptable Netflix viewing experience right out of the box.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day