- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
When CBS This Morning reported on one of its own Tuesday, The Washington Post‘s Amy Brittain, who co-wrote the Rose exposé, said on-air that more than a dozen women had reached out with potential claims since the story ran. In the story, eight women had accused the veteran journalist of sexual harassment, including exposing himself and/or groping their rear ends, breasts and genitals without consent.
Now, three additional women have come forward, preferring to stay anonymous but who have been identified as employees at CBS, CBS News’ evening news first reported. Brittain, when speaking to CBS News’ Bianna Golodryga on Tuesday night, said her in-box was “flooded with dozens of emails” after the story published.
While two of the women said they weren’t ready to publicly detail their claims against Rose, a third woman alleges Rose whispered a sexual innuendo while touching her inappropriately at a work-related event.
“We reached out to Charlie and have not heard back,” CBS said in a statement about the report.
The report highlighted a TMZ video where Rose, after the story ran, is asked if he had anything to say to the accusers of all these wrongdoings. He responded with a smile, “It’s not wrongdoings.”
In his statement, Rose had said he “prided” himself on being an advocate for the careers of women and said, “I deeply apologize myself for my inappropriate behavior.” He added, “I have behaved insensitively at times, and I accept responsibility for that, though I do not believe that all of these allegations are accurate. I always felt that I was pursuing shared feelings, even though I now realize I was mistaken.”
Co-anchors Gayle King and Norah O’Donnell had vowed to report on this story like any other when first reacting to the news Tuesday, and on Wednesday, Golodryga appeared on CBS This Morning to say they discovered the new alleged misconduct while reporting on the story and provided further details.
The three CBS employees allege Rose’s unwanted sexual advances continued after 2011, later than had been reported in the Post and during his time at CBS News.
Two of the women spoke of misconduct at work-related events, one woman claiming he groped her behind and the other, appearing to be the woman who was quoted by CBS evening news, said he grabbed her inappropriately while whispering a sexual innuendo in her ear.
CBS said in a statement Wednesday morning, “This is new information. Beyond that we have no comment at this time.”
Rose did not respond to CBS This Morning‘s request for comment.
“As tough as this is, it makes it even more important that we continue to follow the story and tell these women’s horrific details,” said Golodryga. Encouraging women to continue to speak up, King added, “I never in a million years thought that we, Charlie Rose and CBS would be involved in this story in this way that we are, but I also feel like we’re not shying away from reporting it, that’s important.”
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day