- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Gainsbourg has starred in two of von Trier’s most controversial films: the graphic horror film Antichrist, co-starring Willem Defoe; and Melancholia, which got the director banned from Cannes after he made jokes apparently expressing sympathy for Hitler at at press conference.
But Nymphomaniac, which promises to trace “the erotic life of a woman from the age of zero to the age of 50,” could be von Trier’s most scandalous film yet. Gainsbourg is set to play Joe, a woman who tells the story of her sexual history to the older bachelor Seligman (Skarsgard).
Von Trier plans to shoot both a soft and hardcore version of the English-language feature, with the latter expected to include graphic depictions of penetration. German funding body the NRW Filmstifftung is backing Nymphomaniac with $1.6 million (€1.2 million) in production subsidies. The film will be shot entirely in the German state of North-Rhein Westphalia, where von Trier shot Antichrist. Production is set to begin this summer.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day