- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Oscar-nominated actress Charlotte Rampling is backtracking on her previous remarks that the #OscarsSoWhite controversy and subsequent boycott are “racist to white people.”
Rampling, who previously said to French radio network Europe 1 that “perhaps the black actors did not deserve to make the final list,” has clarified her view.
“I regret that my comments could have been misinterpreted this week in my interview with Europe 1 Radio,” she told CBS’ Sunday Morning. “I simply meant to say that in an ideal world, every performance will be given equal opportunities for consideration.”
Controversy around the Oscars acting categories has been ramping up this week since Spike Lee and Jada Pinkett Smith said they will not attend this year’s awards show because of the lack of any diversity in the nominees of all four acting categories.
Rampling, who is nominated for best actress for her performance in 45 Years, went on to say that she believes “diversity in our industry is an important issue that needs to be addressed” and she is “highly encouraged by the changes revealed Friday by the Academy to diversify its membership.” An announcement by Academy president Cheryl Boone Isaacs outlined a plan to diversify membership, hoping to double the amount of women and diverse members by 2020.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day