- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
In 2016, Chris Rock was one of the first celebrities early on to predict that Donald Trump would defeat Hillary Clinton to become president. He didn’t want that to happen — but he saw it coming while so many others were just making jokes over the absurdity of the situation.
“We’re both comedians, right? And we know that energy kind of always wins,” Rock explained. “And outside of [Mick] Jagger, he’s got the most energy of a 75-year-old guy on stage. But, but, just like in the comedy clubs, the energy works for a short while. And then audience eventually realizes ‘Wow, that guy had energy — but I don’t remember any of his jokes.'”
Rock went on to say that people are “enamored” with energy — but sooner rather than later, they want substance. “Hopefully, people realize that Mr. Biden has an actual message and an actual plan,” Rock said.
When the new season of Saturday Night Live premieres this weekend, Rock will return as host. Jim Carrey will play Joe Biden for the cold opening debate sketch opposite Alec Baldwin’s Trump. Rock told DeGeneres that he and Carrey actually watched the real debate together, and he was amazed how Carrey would not only snap into Biden but also Trump, and Carrey even threw in a little Clint Eastwood.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day
Representation in Hollywood