- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
The residents of Compton, Calif., are thrilled about the N.W.A biopic Straight Outta Compton, which premiered Friday (Aug. 14) and has already already earned big dollars at the box office.
“It’s very important to me that the people that put my city on the map story get told,” says a woman in the video clip below, which features excited moviegoers outside a theater near Compton.
The LAPD took extra security measures at some L.A. theaters on the opening night of Compton, but no violent incidents had been reported as of Sunday, the Los Angeles Times reports.
The film stars O’Shea Jackson Jr. as his real-life father, Ice Cube; Corey Hawkins as Dr. Dre; Jason Mitchell as Eazy-E; Aldis Hodge as MC Ren; and Neil Brown Jr. as DJ Yella.
Compton had already earned an estimated $56.1 million in North America as of publication time. The R-rated movie was produced for just $29 million.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day