- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
The first trailer for The Weinstein Co.’s drama The Current War debuted online Thursday, and features stars Benedict Cumberbatch and Michael Shannon embroiled in a battle of wits, words and their creations as inventors Thomas Edison and George Westinghouse, respectively.
The film takes place in 1879 and follows Edison, who championed using direct current (DC) for electric-power distribution over alternating current (AC), which was supported by several European companies and Westinghouse Electric.
Alfonso Gomez-Rejon (Me and Earl and the Dying Girl) directs with a screenplay by Michael Mitnick. In addition to Cumberbatch and Shannon, Katherine Waterston, Spider-Man: Homecoming star Tom Holland and Nicholas Hoult round out the cast.
The film will have its world premiere over the weekend at the Toronto Film Festival, followed by a limited Nov. 24 theatrical release followed by a wide release Jan. 19, 2018.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day