- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
In the face of the latest, escalating threats from the anonymous cyberhackers, citing 9/11, Sony Pictures is moving forward with plans for a New York premiere screening of The Interview on Thursday at the Sunshine Cinema.
The Sunshine Cinema, located on Manhattan’s Lower East Side, is a relatively small theater complex compared to the typical venues used for studio premieres. It is operated by the Landmark Theatres chain.
The event is currently going on as planned, according to one source with knowledge of the premiere. However, there is a possibility the location of the screening could be changed at the last moment out of security concerns, in which case guests would be notified shortly before the event.
A Los Angeles screening for the film was held on Dec. 11 at The Theatre at Ace Hotel in downtown L.A.. While the studio beefed up security for that event, it went off without incident. “Sony did a great job with the L.A. premiere and has been putting safety first,” the source noted. Like the L.A. event, the New York premiere is expected to restrict press access to photographers only.
Sony did not immediately respond to requests for comment.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day