- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Original Ghostbuster Dan Aykroyd, who also co-wrote the 1984 Ghostbusters film, couldn’t be more pleased with the new all-female Ghostbusters cast, telling The Hollywood Reporter, “The Aykroyd family is delighted by this inheritance of the Ghostbusters torch by these most magnificent women in comedy.”
Aykroyd’s statement continued, “My great grandfather, Dr. Sam Aykroyd, the original Ghostbuster, was a man who empowered women in his day, and this is a beautiful development in the legacy of our family business.”
THR broke the story about the new casting Monday.
Negotiations are ongoing, but the full quartet is expected to sign on as the specter-hunting foursome very soon.
McCarthy and Wiig have worked with Feig before, breaking out together in the director’s Bridesmaids.
Jones, who currently appears in Chris Rock’s Top Five, joined SNL early last year and this fall was promoted to feature player status. McKinnon has been on SNL since 2012 and last year was nominated for an Emmy for her work.
The movie is set for release on July 22, 2016, Feig said on Twitter.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day
The Queen of Basketball