- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Daryl Hannah has been arrested during a protest outside the White House.
The actress and environmental activist was taken into custody on Tuesday while participating in a sit-in to protest the expansion of a pipeline running from Canada’s controversial Keystone XL tar sands to Oklahoma. If approved by the U.S. State Department, the pipeline would be extended to the Gulf Coast.
“We stand here today to just say no to slavery, to just say no to tar sands, oil and no to the Keystone pipeline,” Hannah was reported to have said at the protest.
An estimated 100 people were part of the sit-in that occurred on the sidewalk in front of 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.
This isn’t the first time Hannah’s environmental interests have put her on the wrong side of the law. The actress known for Roxanne and Splash was previously arrested in 2006 after chaining herself to a walnut tree for three weeks to protest the destruction of the country’s largest urban farm in South Central Los Angeles. She was arrested again 2009 during a sit-in to protest mountaintop removal mining in West Virginia.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day