- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
British audiences couldn’t get enough of Matt Reeves‘ latest installment of the Planet of the Apes franchise, with Dawn of the Planet of the Apes taking the summer crown at the U.K. box office and earning 50 percent more than Rupert Wyatt‘s reboot Rise of the Planet of the Apes.
The Guardian, citing figures from Rentrak, reported Tuesday that Dawn had a stellar $52.67 million (£31.99 million) cume in the U.K. for the summer season (May 2 to Aug. 31) and is still showing in theaters. Dawn also shot way ahead of the $34.19 million (£20.77 million) made by Rise in 2011.
Local favorite The Inbetweeners 2 had a cume of $51.05 million (£31.01 million) for the summer season, down on the first outing but still a phenomenal success for its low budget, and the movie should swell its cume as it’s still on wide release at theaters. The Inbetweeners 2 has the distinction of claiming the records for the biggest opening for a comedy in the U.K. and the biggest U.K. opening of 2014.
Guardians of the Galaxy, which ruled the summer at the U.S. box office, came in at a respectable fourth in Britain with $40.33 million (£24.50 million), behind X-Men: Days of Future Past ($44.66 million or £27.13 million). X-Men did better as it was stuffed with British stars such as James McAvoy, Nicholas Hoult, Sir Ian McKellen and Sir Patrick Stewart as well as the familiar face of Irish actor Michael Fassbender. Rounding out the top five: The Amazing Spider-Man 2 with $39.71 million (£24.12 million).
The summer movie season in the U.K. was adversely affected by the soccer World Cup in Brazil, with England participating (but not progressing very far in the tournament). In order to avoid clashes with the soccer, Hollywood studios pushed out a few tentpoles before a ball was kicked in mid-June. Sony went further and released Spider-Man 2 in late April.
The top ten summer movies at the U.K. box office were as follows.
1. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, $52.67 million (£31.99 million)
2. The Inbetweeners 2, $51.05 million (£31.01 million)
3. X-Men: Days of Future Past, $44.66 million (£27.13 million)
4. Guardians of the Galaxy, $40.33 million (£24.50 million)
5. The Amazing Spider-Man 2, $39.71 million (£24.12 million)
6. How to Train your Dragon 2, $38.94 million (£23.65 million)
7. Transformers: Age of Extinction, $32 million (£19.44 million)
8. Maleficent, $31.69 million (£19.25 million)
9. 22 Jump Street, $30.69 million (£18.64 million)
10. Godzilla, $28.38 million (£17.24 million)
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day