- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Flipboard
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Tumblr
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
Byron Allen’s Entertainment Studios has acquired the global rights to Matt Birkbeck’s Sammy Davis Jr. biography Deconstructing Sammy.
The studio has the ambitious plans to adapt the book into a narrative feature film and documentary as well as a scripted TV series that will follow the legendary entertainer throughout the 1960s, ‘70s and ‘80s.
“I personally knew and worked with Sammy Davis Jr.,” said Allen, founder and CEO of Entertainment Studios. “Sammy hired me to open for him at Caesars Palace in Las Vegas when I was a 19-year-old standup comedian, and that’s where my fascination with his incredible story began.”
Entertainment Studios recently acquired motion picture finance and distribution company Freestyle Releasing, which will handle the global distribution of Deconstructing Sammy.
Davis is a legendary entertainer and a part of the infamous Rat Pack, which included Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin. His work was nominated for a Tony, Emmy, Grammy and Golden Globe, and his filmography includes the original Ocean’s 11 movie and Gone With the West. Davis was also a large financial backer of the Civil Rights movement.
Though he has appeared in numerous TV shows and movies, there has not yet been a narrative that has focused solely on Davis’ life.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day